The 2018 Chiles Award Winner will be Announced on Monday, January 22, 2018 at the Children’s Week Awards Dinner & Reception
The Chiles Advocacy Award, in honor of Lawton and Rhea Chiles’ dedication to Florida’s children and families, is presented annually to a Floridian who has dedicated his or her life to improving the lives of children and families, and who has successfully engaged others to promote policies and programs that benefit those children and families. The recipient of the annual Chiles Advocacy Award exemplifies the integrity, dedication, and commitment to improving the lives of Florida’s children and families for which we all strive.
Lawton and Rhea Chiles embody the spirit of what public service is intended to be. The wisdom and experience they gleaned during Lawton Chiles’ decades of public service taught them that society’s most precious natural resource – its children and their families – deserve the special attention of society and its representatives in governmental office. Together, they elevated understanding and awareness of the critical importance in the lives of children to new levels and helped craft state and national policy that will benefit children and their families for generations to come.
2017 Chiles Advocacy Award Winner:
- Publix Super Markets Charities, President – since 1989
- Publix Super Markets Board of Directors –1983- 2016
- Daughter of George W. Jenkins, the late founder of Publix Super Markets
- Florida Southern College, BS Degree in Business Administration/Marketing
- Board Member, The Children’s Movement of Florida
- Former Board Member of Florida Council on Economic Education 1993-2012
- Florida TaxWatch Center for Educational Performance and Accountability Pre-K Co-Chair, 04-06
- Florida Women’s Hall of Fame Inductee, 2016
- Women in Philanthropy Award (United Way Women’s Leadership Summit), 2015
- George Jenkins Award, 2011